Feb 21, 2012

Some thoughts on pre-visualizing images

Fire Island Light
In preparing for my next photo session, I decided to formally decide what I was after and why I was going to shoot the subject on a cold winter morning. After all, thousands of images of Montauk Light House at dawn already exist. Many of those photos were taken by far better photographers than me. And, another photo of a lighthouse runs the risk of being a trite cliche of coastal living.

There is a very good possibility that the sky will be overcast and the sun will not cast a red glow over the horizon, therefore, so much of what I’m planning depends on the quality of light. I will be positioning my tripod and camera before sunrise on the north side of the lighthouse with a view of the ocean and the silhouette of the tower and beacon.

First of all, high tide will be close to 10 a.m. so we will have a rising tide at mid-tide levels at dawn 6:35 a.m. and the moon phase should have little effect on the height of the of the water. Weather, high winds, precipitation, over cast or clear skies will be the next factors to consider and will change how and what we photograph.

As Galen Rowell suggests, an image has to have an emotional impact. I’m not sure what emotions I will feel when I get there, but I have to strive to recreate that for the viewer. How do you evoke an emotional response from viewing a photo? Awe, fear, sadness, joy, conflict,drama, turbulence and/or the inexorable march of time and tide.



Here are a few photographic scenarios:
Sunset at Orient Point Light

  • Left side of frame will contain the red glow of sunrise while center/right of frame will show a silhouette of the lighthouse tower and beacon.
  • As sun rises check for reflections of the sky’s color in the water.
  • If the surf is up, get into position to capture back lighted waves.
  • Set up tripod and camera low to the ground and put beach rocks on boulders in foreground with wide angle lens.
  • Snow is unlikely based on the recent warm temperatures, but it is February, so there’s always the possibility. Will snow on the beach reflect rosy-colored dawn?
  • Slow the shutter to blur water movement and create silky effect as water races up the beach.

Portland Head Light, Maine
So, do I want to capture a post-card view, or do I want to create an emotional response to the scene. What emotion do I want to portray? Joy and reverence for the beginning of a new day with the rising sun; Drama from the pounding surf and erosion of the beaches; Conflict as man tries to exert his dominion against the forces of nature; Or, harmony and acceptance of life while in such close proximity to the timeless sea.


Am I over planning for this? Of course conditions will dictate what I can do, but at least I now have an idea of what may be possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment